Full Face Using DB Daydreamer Brush Set

Wednesday 11 April 2018
"I carried a watermelon" - Baby, Dirty Dancing 
Hey howdy hey blogosphere! Today's post is a review type/opinion thing on a product I own, as per the description of what this blog is about ha! I want to do a full face of makeup using a new brush set I've recently added to my collection, and give you my thoughts along the way.
The product - Designer Brands Daydreamer Brush Set
Available at - www.dbcosmetics.com.au/
Price - $29.99 (works out to about $3 per brush)
Additional details - DB is cruelty free and vegan! Their site offers Afterpay.

My first thoughts were that the roll up case with a clasp they come in is gorgeous, and honestly for $30 this set is definitely worth the money and then some! The brushes themselves are pink, white, and silver which I feel fits the 'daydreamer' aesthetic, and they feel delightfully soft! I did notice that the bristles aren't very densely packed though which shouldn't prove an issue for makeup application with powdered products but I do have a concern about that foundation brush stippling brush not doing the job. It could be that I'm just used to using the e.l.f Selfie Ready Blurring Brush for my foundation and those are quite full and dense.

I should note that I am writing this post as I go today, making notes where I can, photographing along the way, and am probably doing housework and tending to my kidlets between trying to focus on what I'm doing here haha I want this to be a 'real life' blog, and I'll post when I can around my usual day to day activities and responsibilities. There is no sitting down for hours at a perfectly organised vanity with adequate lighting and a high-def camera rolling here!

Edit- it's now 1.47pm... I started writing this this morning and haven't had a chance to start the makeup stuff yet. I had the best of intentions!

Edit again- It's now 2.08pm the following day... still haven't had a chance to sit down and do this. I ran chores this morning while feeling a bit sick, and now the kids are *I think* about to have a short nap and I had a shower and tried to pep up to do my makeup I still feel too much like shit. Why did I think starting a makeup blog would be a good idea? Kinda just want to stuff my face with chips and watch Youtube now.

AND I'M BACK.

So... can you apply a full face with this brush set? Yes! The only thing I felt was missing was a concealer brush. I tried to make the foundation brush work for concealer, it was hard, but I managed. This is the face I came up with! My eye shadow was a lot more vivid in reality but for some reason I haven't worked out the best way to photograph that yet, the pictures I take just aren't quite cutting it.
Foundation brush - It absorbs a lot of product, not very dense, but didn't leave streaks in my foundation and buffed it in nicely. I used two of my fuller coverage foundations mixed together, the DB Long Wear foundation and my Milani Conceal+Correct.
Powder brush - Picks up a lot of product!! Definitely don't just stick it straight in your powder container like I did, and like I usually do with my other powder brushes, because you'll end up with half of it in your brush. Are you not supposed to do that anyway? Meh, I do haha
I used the same brush for blush and for bronzer. My blush is the new OXX Kmart brand baked blush in 02 Apricot and for a baked product it was surprisingly soft! It does have a pretty pigment to it, but it is very shimmery so I'd maybe use it as a blush topper? When I  use it again I will probably wear it in the evening, or without highlight if it's looking like too many sparkles on my face.
Angled Contour brush - For contour in a powdered product this brush is maybe a little too large. It's hard to get a sculpted line and then harder still to blend out. I ended up using the Deluxe Crease brush for my nose contour.
Fan brush - for highlight this works the same as any other fan brush, does the job. I used my re-pressed E.l.f baked highlight in Moonlit Pearls.
As I've mentioned I'm really impressed about there being two crease brushes in this set, both of which work just fine. The flat shader is a good size, and the eye liner brush is so teeny tiny I will definitely give that a shot next time I do a shadow liner. It's kinda hard to tear me away from my fave KPopxAustralis liquid liner... that shit is SO GOOD! So good in fact I saw it was on sale so I ordered two more in case this sale is a precurser to *discontinued*. Typical.

Every time I do my face I learn something new about the contours and such, I still haven't nailed how to do my eyes in the best way for their shape, and that's where I think having a blog and photos of past looks comes in handy to check back on and learn from. Also my brows are hairy caterpillars at the moment because I'm growing them out to reshape them. Doing my brows is another thing I haven't mastered yet...what do you do when you have solid black eyebrow hairs that are singularly thick and long, but not a dense growth? Any strokes I put on the surrounding skin to reshape them with makeup just looks super obvious. Anyone else in the same boat?


No comments:

Post a Comment